Re: Modern History

On Tue, 30 Jun 1998, John Cowan wrote:

> Like most royals, Victoria Maria Alicia had lots of names, but she
> took the throne as "Victoria" and reigned till old age.
> Her husband was a member of the minor English peerage named
> Albert de la Pole, with both military and mercantile ancestors.
> Early in Victoria's reign, Albert resumed, by Royal Proclamation,
> the name of his ancestral family, which then became the dynastic
> name of Victoria's descendants, including the current Monarch.

I suppose the prime consideration here is: was she _amused_? ;-)  I like
this -- a very nice transcontinual convergence.  The names are the same,
and all that, but the history is _utterly different_ (no Saxe-Coburg-
Gothas and all that lot).  Nice piece of work!

[I suppose she joined the host of the dead in 1901, leaving it all to
Edward?]

Are there king lists for England and Scotland *there*?

Padraic.