Re: Ancient History.

On Wed, 1 Jul 1998, Padraic Brown wrote:

> I've been working on a list of Kernow kings and how they fit in with the
> Cambrian kings.  There're also some questions I've been thinking about.

Let me toss in some observations of my own.  Useful material this!

> Kernow				Cambria (Pagus/Powys until Cambrian unity)

Powys appears to be derived from Pagensis, according to The Age of Arthur;
The Country contrasted with more urban South Wales.  In Welsh *here* -age-
-> ae -> owy; Welsh (Brithenig) *there* remains closer to the Romance norm
(a/a: -> a rather than a: ->aU/o)  To this day the Chomro still refer to
the mountainous heartland of north Cambria as ill Paes, the Country.

> Tutivalos Senos			Ambrosius Aurelianus Vlatos
> (470-500)			(460-480)  Ousted the Vortigerns, invited
> 				the Votadini to immigrate to
> 				Weneta/Gwynedd, under Cunodagos
> 				(Cunedda).
I thought the latin version of Gwynedd was Wenedotia.  In Brithenig it is
Gwenedd.  (According to the Age of Arther Cunedda is the origin of the
name Kenneth - not a name I associate with warlords myself)

As for Cumbria and Rheged I felt the Ribble was a good place to draw a
boundery between the north and south.  Originally I thought the boundery
would go up to Luguvallium but the transpennine littoral looked too
tenuous
to me to be successfully held on to.  (A contingent boundary between the
Welsh and the Cornovii in the south also troubled me but the survival of a
brythonic language in Cornwall made it seem possible.)  My guess is the
Cumbrians moved into orbit around the powerbase in Strathclyde until such
time as that was absorbed into Scotland.  Then it became part of the
territory that was conquered by William Rufus as happened *here*.
(Correct me if I am wrong.)

The House of Padarn, the ruling dynasty, is named after its earliest
ancestor, Paternus, who was one of the kings of the Votadini established
circa 370-380.  Among his immediate successors are Cunedda and
Maglocunos, and later the Llewellyns (has anyone got an etimology for
that name?)

- andrew.

Andrew Smith                                  <hobbit@earthlight.co.nz>

MAN, despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many
accomplishments; still owes his existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil
and the fact that it rains.
							   - Anonymous