Re: Rromei-Geldyghei lyngvei (Roman-Celtic langs)

On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, Don Blaheta wrote:

> Quoth Frank George Valoczy:
>
> > Breton has "inflecting prepositions".  Do Brithenig and Kemru?  I'm still
> > figuring those out, whether to include it or not; I'm leaning towards the
> > 'not'.
>
> Is this like Italian?  (In Italian, it's more a matter of certain
> prepositions fused with the article following them, and changed in
> certain ways.)  I thought that was pretty neat... might be a bit
> excessive with a different form for each case, though.

No.  Inflected or conjugated prepositions are marked for _person_, just
like _verbs_.  As an example, I give Olr Irish "la", meanign with:

        1st.     lem            linn
        2nd.     lat            lib
        3rd.m/n. leiss  3rd.    leu/leo
        3rd.f.   lee

I don't think Old Irish fused prepositions with articles this way; but in
any event, he could do both in Brzhonegh if he wished.

> --
> -=-Don Blaheta-=-=-dpb@cs.brown.edu-=-=-<http://www.cs.brown.edu/~dpb/>-=-
> Rule 46, Oxford Union Society, London:
>         Any member introducing a dog into the Society's premises shall
> be liable to a fine of one pound.  Any animal leading a blind person
> shall be deemed to be a cat.

Padraic.