Re: CHAT: where Padraic and Andrew start getting really silly

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Andrew Smith wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, Padraic Brown wrote:
>
> > restoration of the "vigour of a depleted man". ;-)  An especially good
> > laugh if the poor man in question is accompanied by his wife (or etc.).
> >
> Kernu have no shame.

Ouch!

At this point, the Kerno Ministry of Tourism would like to assure the
Travelling Public that such pranks are the brainchildren of a few
Misguided Lads, and are in no general way connected to the People of Kerno
as a Whole.  Also, as of 1996, all misleading entries in Kerno guidebooks,
which formerly referred "restaurant seekers" to the section under
"apothecary, personal needs", have been updated. ;-)

> In Brithenig gwoler is to want and toir is to like, actually toir snuck in
> from a gaelic dictionary so I suspect its roots are goidelic not
> brythonic, but its a cute word and no one's challenged me on it so its
> safe for now.  Sorry about that.

Nothing wrong with an occasional Gaelicism; if I recall aright, sometime
in the post Skedaddling of the Legions centuries a number of Irish (_not_
to be confused with the Scots) migrated to southwestern Britain.  That
might explain some older borrowings.

> > Here it might be interesting to note that monis- is the future form of ir
> > (to go), a verb actually more irregular that esser (to be).  Its various
> > tenses take forms from ir (go), *vader/wadher (rush), monir (ride), and
> > esser (be).
> >
> Brithenig is very conservative for a Romance language.  The whole paradigm
> of 'to go' is derived from gwadder, although the stem in the present tense
> is reduced to gwa.

Think of the verb 'ir' as Kernu's mad old aunt who stays up in the attic
and mutters things like "bugger them cods' eyes for all I'll larn 'em
ter stare at me!" and similar.  The rest of the family is quite
normal.  I assure you.  ;-)  (Except some of the tense morphology gets a
bit interesting at times!)

> Nu ddigen am lla blaned ci, lla wer, Padrig, rhen ill Munn Disc.  Ill munn
> di Faistr Terry Pratchett es yn different.

Eo sab; mai eo me h-ympresiwn ke bod yscrifer tant in Frithenig de lla
test!  Ddef 'Padrig' esser rhen 'Phadrig' in ill vocatif?  O ffew ill
mydad?

> - andrew.
>
> Andrew Smith                                  <hobbit@earthlight.co.nz>
> Life is short, so am I...