Re: CELT: Welsh Goblin seeks etymology

On Thu, 2 Apr 1998 19:55:28 +1200 Andrew Smith
<hobbit@MAIL.EARTHLIGHT.CO.NZ> writes:

>I have been working through Herman Miller's Zarkhand list, some words
>in Brithenig that can be adapted to roleplaying would not go amiss, but
>finding the right word for 'goblin' is causing to be tricky.  I think it
should
>be derived from bwca or bwgan (Gaelic bocan), but I can't find a
>reliable etymology for the word to find the Brithenig form.  Does anyone
>have access to a reliable source?

Though not a direct ancestor to Brithenig, the Gaulish "buccos" seems to
be related.  It seems to mean goat, with these related forms: Gael.
boc(c), W. bwch, Br. bouc'h, and Fr. bouc.  I think it reasonable that
the Brythonic form would not have been too far from buccos.

There's also "dusii", which seem to mean nightmare demons (dimons
incubes).  The Cornish Dus (devil) seems to be related.  I don't know if
the Britons had this one or not.

>- andrew.
>
>Andrew Smith
><hobbit@earthlight.co.nz>
>Life is short, so am I...

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]