Re: Piat (was: That was quick!)

At 11:24 27/4/98, John Cowan wrote:
>Rhaifun Bryn yscrifef:
[....]
>> BTW, Iewan, does the alternative history of *There* have any bearing on the
>> Piat speakers of central Europe?
>
>So far not.  Piat is embedded in the Triune Monarchy (Scythia-Pannonia-
>Transbalkania), as the continuing use of Court-Gothic as the official
>language (of records) shows.  However, it was something of a football
>between the TM and Austria-Hungary for a while (losers get to keep the
>Piats) until the dissolution of both empires in 1918.
>
>The TM was *not* invented by me, but by Avram Davidson in his
>short-story collection _The Enquiries of Doctor Eszterhazy_.

The TM presumably would cover the area where my still unnamed Balkanlang is
spoken.  (I seem to recall And suggested a name like 'Arxna' [OrLnO], where
[L] is voiced version of Welsh {ll}, i.e. Zulu & Xhosa {dl} ). So where, I
wonder, will that fit in?  I think not a third universe!

>And Rosta and I have agreed that Piatland and Livagia share a universe,
>and that it is still an open question whether Livagia and Kemr do
>(I hope so, but I'm not sure the complications can be controlled).

I'd forgotten Livagia.  Could you remind me where it is *Yonder* (if
*Yonder* be not *There*)?

>Of course, there could be Piat-speakers in both universes, just as
>there are Swahili-speakers in both universes.

Which both? *Here* & *Yonder* or *Here* & *There*?

Raifun.

Written in Net English        Humor not necessarily marked