Re: The Federated Kingdoms

Jowan 'ap Jowan yscreus:

> Padrig Bryn yscrifef:
>
> > So.  Is this some sort of twisted Plot on the part of the Bloody Saxons to
> > get their greedy little fingers into Our Business!? ;^)
>
> I would think that no self-respecting Kemrese citizen would wish
> to even *mention* Lla Gos Nustr in a public forum.  That organization
> is a disgrace to the Kemrese people, to say no more.

Oops, the Chancellor will not go lightly with me for that faux pas! ;-)

> > Or some sort of
> > international League?
>
> Well, something between a League and a State.  The Federated Kingdoms
> (Andrew's idea, not mine) are more or less the equivalent of the U.K.
> when seen from outside, but have quite a different internal structure.
> The three Kingdoms retain almost all their internal sovereignty,
> producing the appearance of a unitary state by a system of extremely
> close cooperation.  Think of a cross between Switzerland and the
> pre-Civil-War U.S. minus the slavery question.

Well, I suppose that's not too awful bad.

Now, do we have to add the fleur-de-lis, St. George's cross and the all
those Scottish lions, etc. to the F.K. flag?  ;^)

> > Undoubtedly hatching Schemes and Plots in a bog, I daresay!
>
> Humph.  Why are the inhabitants of Ysl Prydain so obsessed with a
> perfectly natural feature of the Irish landscape?  The natives haven't

Which, the Bogs or the Irish (or both)?

> actually *lived* in the turf for several millennia; it wasn't called
> Ysl LLo Doctadur E Llo Saent for nothing.

And is undoubtedly a Good Thing, bogs not withstanding, all in all.

All that out of doors living must be what compells the lot towards
doctoring and divinity. ;-)

> > I've always tried to adhere to the following scheme:
> >
> > British, Britons = Roman Celts (before)
> > Comro, Kemrese = Roman Celts (after)
>
> Note that anything in Kemr can be Kemrese, including the English (and
> Irish) minorities.  But the language is "Britannic" in English,

Yes, but see "English = Bloody Saxon, etc." for the specifics of the one;
and of course Irish = Irish (and bogs, peat, harps, etc.) for the other.
The Comro are naturally Kemrese, while the English (bloody and otherwise)
and the Irish (bogs and all) are _perforce_ Kemrese, but not at the same
time Comro.

> and the terms "Briton" and "British" are still current for the Comro,
> as a more learned equivalent for "Welsh".

Naturally.  My system was simply meant to keep everybody distinct when I
write about them.  I hadn't meant anything _official_ about it (except the
bit about Kernu = the finest folk south of Spitzbergen).

> (Question: is the Brithenig dialect spoken in whatever passes for
> Liverpool as strongly influenced by Irish as Scouse is?)

If enough Irish left their Bogs, became Kemrese and started speaking
Britheing; then I suppose it would have to be so.

> > Yet another top rate post!
>
> Mil greid!
>
> (New vocabulary item:  *doctadur* (m.) 'scholar'.)

Twill be added to the dictionary!

> --
> John Cowan					cowan@ccil.org
> 		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.