Re: The Federated Kingdoms

Padrig Bryn yscrifef:

> So.  Is this some sort of twisted Plot on the part of the Bloody Saxons to
> get their greedy little fingers into Our Business!? ;^)

I would think that no self-respecting Kemrese citizen would wish
to even *mention* Lla Gos Nustr in a public forum.  That organization
is a disgrace to the Kemrese people, to say no more.

> Or some sort of
> international League?

Well, something between a League and a State.  The Federated Kingdoms
(Andrew's idea, not mine) are more or less the equivalent of the U.K.
when seen from outside, but have quite a different internal structure.
The three Kingdoms retain almost all their internal sovereignty,
producing the appearance of a unitary state by a system of extremely
close cooperation.  Think of a cross between Switzerland and the
pre-Civil-War U.S. minus the slavery question.

> Undoubtedly hatching Schemes and Plots in a bog, I daresay!

Humph.  Why are the inhabitants of Ysl Prydain so obsessed with a
perfectly natural feature of the Irish landscape?  The natives haven't
actually *lived* in the turf for several millennia; it wasn't called
Ysl LLo Doctadur E Llo Saent for nothing.

> So what constitutes the Irish Qustion now?  This state of affairs would
> leave me somewhat apprehensive, as a hypothetical Citizen of Kemr, of
> visiting Ireland, what with all the ill will over the centuries.  Or have
> things settled a bit?

Open violence against tourists is essentially unknown in Ireland, even
Cambriese tourists (provided they do not attempt to throw their weight
about).  However, learning the *cupla foc'al* (a few words of Irish)
is considered a Good Thing, and not really that difficult.  English is
also well understood there, particularly among the city folk.

> I've always tried to adhere to the following scheme:
>
> British, Britons = Roman Celts (before)
> Comro, Kemrese = Roman Celts (after)

Note that anything in Kemr can be Kemrese, including the English (and
Irish) minorities.  But the language is "Britannic" in English,
and the terms "Briton" and "British" are still current for the Comro,
as a more learned equivalent for "Welsh".

(Question: is the Brithenig dialect spoken in whatever passes for
Liverpool as strongly influenced by Irish as Scouse is?)

> Yet another top rate post!

Mil greid!

(New vocabulary item:  *doctadur* (m.) 'scholar'.)

--
John Cowan					cowan@ccil.org
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.