Re: The Federated Kingdoms

il di le sul Jowan 'ap Jowan yscreus:

> Further details have appeared about the Federated Kingdoms.
> What follows is written mostly from an English perspective.

So.  Is this some sort of twisted Plot on the part of the Bloody Saxons to
get their greedy little fingers into Our Business!? ;^)  Or some sort of
international League?

> After the Act of Federation, Cambriese control of the
> Emerald Isle came to be a matter of mostly benign neglect.
> However, a failure to recognize the legitimate aspirations of the
> native Irish, plus a comparable tendency to allow the Cambrio-Irish
> to have matters too much their own way, caused Ireland to seethe
> with increasingly military revolts throughout the 18th and 19th

Undoubtedly hatching Schemes and Plots in a bog, I daresay!

> centuries.  The enfranchisement of the native Irish in 1822 did
> nothing to quiet the agitation for a Free State.  After World War I,
> the Cambriese in the mother country grew weary of supporting their
> arrogant relatives to the west, and made plans culminating in
> the Great Withdrawal and creation of the Irish Free State, a
> self-governing country with only the most tenuous connection to
> the Crown.  The Free State eventually unilaterally repudiated
> monarchical government and quietly transformed itself in 1956
> into a republic.

So what constitutes the Irish Qustion now?  This state of affairs would
leave me somewhat apprehensive, as a hypothetical Citizen of Kemr, of
visiting Ireland, what with all the ill will over the centuries.  Or have
things settled a bit?

> (Parenthentically, I must protest the loose use of "British"
> for the English on Sessiwn Kemres: in the Brithenig Universe,
> the "British" are unquestionably the Chomro.  As JRRT says,
> "[I]n the quest for a quite unnecessary uniformity, the English
> were deprived of their Englishry and the Welsh of their claim
> to be the primary inheritors of the title 'British'."  Not
> so across the interuniversal divide!)

I've always tried to adhere to the following scheme:

British, Britons = Roman Celts (before)
Comro, Kemrese = Roman Celts (after)
English = (Bloody) Saxons, East of the Liners, English, etc.
Cherno, Kernu = some of the nicest most hospitable folk you could ever
	hope to visit!

Yet another top rate post!  (And excellent fodder for the upcomming web
archive.)

> --
> John Cowan					cowan@ccil.org
> 		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.