Re: Stress accent?

Jowan 'ab Jowan yscriv:

>I've been stressing the penult, on the assumption that Brithenig,
>like most Romance languages, shuns proparoxytones.  Is that always
>right, though?  When does the ultima get the stress?  (Italian
>clues us in with the grave here.)  The Web pages are distressingly
>silent.

That was my general assumption as well (stress the penult); with the
possible addition/exception that words like salyd, afur, nediwn and all
infinitives have final stress, as their Latin antecedents accented that
syllable.  Spanish retains accent on this syllable; and I belive Italian
and French do as well.  Kerno has this accentuation pattern as well: sal
'uts, am 'ours, nedi 'u, cant 'ar, car 'er, etc.  Of course, Kerno
accentuation can get a bit wonky at times; and on top of that, there are
no accent marks to help.

Cowan	http://www.ccil.org/~cowan		cowan@ccil.org
>	You tollerday donsk?  N.  You tolkatiff scowegian?  Nn.
>	You spigotty anglease?  Nnn.  You phonio saxo?  Nnnn.
>		Clear all so!  'Tis a Jute.... (FW 16.5)

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]