Re: Some geography and culture

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Andrew Smith wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Padraic Brown wrote:
>
> > Sounds like an interesting book.  I'm currently wading through King
> > Arthur, the Real Story.  I'm mostly looking for tidbits about Cornwall,
> > and have gotten a fair amount with respect to King Mark and Tristan.
> >
> The Age of Arthur, John Morris, 1989, Weidenfield & Nicolson: London 0 297
> 17601 3.  What's King Arthur, the Real Story?

I'm sorry, I've misquoted the title.  It should rightly be King Arthur,
the True Story (G. Phillips & M. Keatman, 1993, Random House:
Sydney/Auckland/Bergvlei, So. Afr.  0 09 929681 0).

It's a scholarly (ie., they're not trying to prove/disrove) attempt at
sifting through ancient and medieval papers and accounts to figure out
who's who, what's what, where it all happened and when.  So far (up to ch.
4), Mark, Tristan, Medraut and Merlin (and possibly Arthur) are real;
everyone else is either a deity or a storyteller's fancy.  So far the two
swords and Avallon seem to be of Celtic mythological provenance while the
grail (graal) may be Arabic.

> - andrew.
>
> Andrew Smith                                  <hobbit@earthlight.co.nz>
> Life is short, so am I...