Re: Phonological Oddity

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Raymond A. Brown wrote:

Bengwenid aeredr, badrun!  Ysper ke 'w h-afeth yn bon demp in Nghemr.
Sa's bon uddir di 'w anghor.  Gw h-ereth missad.

> >> - But in Brithenig, we have _cantar_, preserving the stop medially,
> >> whereas /t/ undergoes nasal mutation to /nh/ initially, as in Welsh.
>
> Yes, I don't have Andrew's "master plan" to hand; but if _cantare_
> developed as in Welsh one'd expect *canhar (with final stress).

I don't think the master plan includes medial nasal mutation for the
reason I spelled out previously.

Description of medial nasal mutation taken under advisement and added to
the list of things to after the latest lexicon upgrade.  (must get back to
that)

> Final -nt is, however, preserved, e.g.

so presumably canhar but ys cant...

> I guess learned influence in the case of borrowings.

It got borrowed back into the language then.

On another note, I am wondering whether to create a distinction between
'in' and '(d')intr' to parallel that which exists in Welsh between 'yn'
and 'mewn'

- andrew.
--
Andrew Smith, Intheologus 			hobbit@earthlight.co.nz