Re: American dialect of Brithenig

On Sat, 31 Jul 1999, John Cowan wrote:

> Padraic Brown scripsit:
>
> > Aeroplanes are curiosities ruminated on
> > by the military (RAF) or are the domain of a few rich (but idiotic and
> > shortlived)  barnstormers (After all, who would want to go up in the air
> > in something that doesn't naturally float!?).
>
> I believe that aeroplanes are in fact in use by the military: if not
> as bombers, at least as fast couriers.  As in the alternate America
> of *The Two Georges*, sometimes the need for speed dominates all else.

That's a point.  They have their uses, then: mostly light protection,
in-and-out recon, couriers, etc. I think most of the heavy work would be
accomplished by the ships, though.  Remember, we're not talking
Hindenburg, here.  That was around 70 years ago.  Whereas ship technology
*here* has definitely been back burnered; *there* is a nother matter.
Interestingly, I read an article about a German airship co. developping an
extremely heavy / bulky transport shipping line of fast powerful ships.
*There* ought to have passed that by a while ago.

Padraic.