Re: update

On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Padraic Brown wrote:

> I take it we're going to have to wait for the Page update to find out how
> much we're going to have to relearn?  Or are we going to be told that
> Brithenig was Semitic after all? ;)

While I adore the concise elegance of hebrew, a true hacker's language if
ever there was one, I would rather have a go at Slavonic.  My attempts at
penetrating Old Church Slavonic far enough to generate a conlang from it
have so far been defeated by its left and right strikes of phonetics and
declensions.  A tough conlang to cold start.

Despite that all additions to the Brithenig homepage made so far are
cosmetic, merely including features that have been discussed over the last
year that I haven't included yet: c', g', ddlo, etc.

> If you're after inserting Brithenig dialect words into the lexicon, I've
> found three: a preposition, "ar", meaning above, on top; a verb,
> "dicalar", meaning to fear; and a noun, "ill sencadech" meaning a silly or
> humerous story.  They are found primarily along the Severn in the vicinity
> of Castreleon.

Hmmm.  I'm cautious on 'canonizing' dialectal variation especially that
close to the standard dialect.

> Is the map still amongst the 'must-do' things?  Dare I ask about my
> translation of oh so long ago? :)

The map is tucked away on a shelf where I can see it reminding me that I
promised to pick up some acetates to overwrite it.  Your translation
should certainly be kickstarted back off the backburner where I left it
and worked on.  (It's only slightly scorched!)  My own slushpile of
translation-work distracted me.  And I should get onto the lexicon update.

Sigh, that artlang I have just started based on church latin will just
have to wait a few more days!

- andrew.
--
Andrew Smith, Intheologus 			hobbit@earthlight.co.nz

	Lo! thy dread empire, Chaos! is restored;
	Light dies before thy uncreating word:
	Thy hand, great Anarch! lets the curtain fall;
	And Universal Darkness buries All.
			- Alexander Pope, The Dunciad, Book IV.