Re: Vowel shift (was: THEORY: Storage Vs. Computation)

On Sun, 20 Jun 1999, Raymond A. Brown wrote:

> 'Twas never used here as a salutation, but only as a valediction.  When
> meeting one says: 'Good morning', 'Good afternoon' or 'Good evening'
> according to the time of day - and quite often dropping the 'good'.

Good day might be used as a valediction, but g'day would sound odd to me
as one.  I say Good morning, or 'Ngmorning quite often, but (good)
afternoon I personally avoid because it sounds highly formal for me.

> We're not familiar with NZ English - you need to produce a TV series that's
> going to become popular here  :)

Look out for Shortland Street, and be very afraid!

BBC Wales has made it onto TVNZ with a series called Drover's Gold, which
our programme schedulers in their wisdom have put on at 11:30 pm on
Tuesday, but I'm watching it to get a feel of what the landscape of
Brithenig would be like.

- andrew.

Andrew Smith, Intheologus                       hobbit@earthlight.co.nz

        Lo! thy dread empire, Chaos! is restored;
        Light dies before thy uncreating word:
        Thy hand, great Anarch! lets the curtain fall;
        And Universal Darkness buries All.
                        - Alexander Pope, The Dunciad, Book IV.