Re: [conculture] CHAT: The centre of the temporal universe, was Translation relay

From: Padraic Brown <pbrown@polaris.umuc.edu>

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Nik Taylor wrote:

> From: Nik Taylor <fortytwo@ufl.edu>
>
> John Cowan fakaltina'tas:
> > Yes.  It is the majority language in Pennsylvania, but most people
> > speak English too.  The Brithenig-speaking colonies are
> > New Castreleon (New York, *here*) and Ter Mair (Maryland, *here*);
> > in New Scotland they speak Scots, obviously.
>
> Scots is still a major language in that timeline?  So, Scots isn't
> considered a dialect of English in that timeline?

I'm not sure if this is Scots Gaelige or Scots English...  I din't think
it's ever been settled which of the two is the tongue of the land.

> > The Jerseys (East and West)
>
> East and West Jersey?  Do they occupy the same territory as our New
> Jersey?
>
> > New Sweden (Delaware) uses English, Swedish, and Irish.
>
> Cool, so Irish is spoken in North America?  Is there anywhere on the Net
> I can access a description of this timeline's history?  Seems that there
> must be a great difference between our timeline and their timeline if
> Irish is still a major language.

The only description published thus far is at <earthlight.co.nz/users/
andrew> Follow the links into Brithenig until you get to the "Timeline". I
think Irish is still a "major" language because their Colonial Masters
(the Kemrese) didn't mess around too much with the cultural bases.  It's
quite a different place indeed, as it seems so many historical events hang
on the conditions of 5th and 6th century Britain: the whole face of
British history is altered, the Empire is quite different (being ruled by
a coalition of three countries who have not always been friendly), there
is no USA and all the complexes that rely on the US are altered.

Padraic.