Re: [conculture] Government structure

From: Andrew Smith <hobbit@mail.earthlight.co.nz>

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, John Cowan wrote:

> Must we have democratic elections for both houses?  Why not the
> "merit-lordship" principle?  This has the advantage that there need
> be no sharp cutover; merely an exclusion, perhaps gradual, of hereditary
> peers in favor of life peers.

Let me get back to you on that.  The crux is what did David Lloyd-George
do *here* between 1908-1911.  Lloyd-George is the model for Gris-Geory.
*There*, GG is the PM of Cambria and was freer to nobble the Kemrese House
of Lords.  While Kemrese society is conservative in its structure, its
politics has an active and very vital leftist tradition.

- andrew.

Andrew Smith, Intheologus 			hobbit@earthlight.co.nz

	Lo! thy dread empire, Chaos! is restored;
	Light dies before thy uncreating word:
	Thy hand, great Anarch! lets the curtain fall;
	And Universal Darkness buries All.
			- Alexander Pope, The Dunciad, Book IV.