Re: [conculture] CHAT: con-this'n'that

From: Lars Henrik Mathiesen <thorinn@diku.dk>

> From: John Cowan <cowan@locke.ccil.org>
> Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 15:41:31 -0400 (EDT)

> Lars Henrik Mathiesen scripsit:

> > I think Diana Plantagenet should marry Charles, 9th Earl of Spencer.
> > He doesn't even need a dukedom.

> Much better, and I accept it.

You may need to fiddle the ages, though. He's a little young if Diana
is born *there* when Charles was *here.*

> But as a Parthian shot, I never assumed that "Charles, Duke of
> Edinburgh" was a Battenberg. Queen Di's *father* was a Battenberg.
> All I said was that she and her husband were second cousins (i.e.
> had at least one common great-grandparent).

I know. And since Elizabeth's maternal grandfather (*here*) is King
Christian IX of Denmark, who married his many daughters off to most of
the royal houses in Europe, that really leaves the field wide open.

But my point was that the title Duke of Edinburgh only exists *here*
because Philip Mountbatten needed something to replace his princely
titles. So you'd need to come up with some other reason to create one.

BTW, John, set your clock. This is a time warp.

Lars Mathiesen (U of Copenhagen CS Dep) <thorinn@diku.dk> (Humour NOT marked)