[conculture] Re: Kemrese Church possibilities

From: Padraic Brown <pbrown@polaris.umuc.edu>

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Andrew Smith wrote:

> But not Mandans, too far west!

Apart from which, they spoke Welsh or some such ...
;-)

> After an expedition had confirmed this probably a bishop would be sent to
> investigate.  In the Cambriese rite bishops are subordinate to the abbots.

To any abbot or only to the one in Glastein or only to their own?  In
other words, is it a central hierarchy from G., or more diffuse with the
abbot of each monastery over a certain number of bishops.  I suppose each
abbot is equal.

> Abbots are the spiritual 'fathers' of a monastery and the churches
> historically dependant on it, but bishops are responsible for the
> sacramental life and practice within that area.  In the eyes of the laity
> they are seen as more actively involved in the life of the church because
> a parish priest or monk receives his or her office to dispense the
> sacraments from a bishop.

Are all priests subordinate to all bishops or only to the one that
commissioned them?

> The concept of a self-ordaining succession of priests derived from the
> tradition of the Cambriese rite would seem abhorent to the hierarchy and
> would want to ensure that their belief and practice was 'correct'.

A little judicious fire and brimstone will soon take care of that!

Padraic.