Re: CELT: Spoken Conlangs

On Sat, 28 Mar 1998, Sally Caves wrote:

> So what happened to the poor Anglo-Saxons?  Derailment?  No Beowulf poet?
> No Norman Conquest?  No Geoffrey Chaucer?  Sob...  Oh well.

Anglo-Saxons: conquered southern Britain but did not divide the Welsh and
the Cornish Kingdoms.  The Border between Cambria and England is more
westward.

Norman Conquest: conquered the English.  The Prince of Cambria fought for
the English and died alongside Harold.  (Check the Bayeux Tapestry)  The
Normans occupied Cambria in the late thirteenth century until the Chomro
rallied and drove them out.  Around 1400 the Cambrians invaded England.
(Mel Gibson is negotiating movie rights but the Cambrians are holding off,
they're not sure if they want their national liberator to be played by an
Australian!)

> with their obscurity.  Taliesin (see _Ystorya Taliesin_ by Patrick
> Ford--see me, too, in my other life, bibliography on request) is a huge
> contributor to the tradition in Welsh.  There are two glorious poems in
Bibliography requested.

- andrew.

Andrew Smith                                  <hobbit@earthlight.co.nz>
Life is short, so am I...