Re: CELT: Spoken Conlangs

Sally Caves scripsit:

> So what happened to the poor Anglo-Saxons?  Derailment?  No Beowulf poet?
> No Norman Conquest?  No Geoffrey Chaucer?  Sob...  Oh well.

Fear not.  In the Brithenig Universe, Norman England is a bit smaller than
we know it, but it's there, it's there.  In fact, some of the Saeson in
Kemr are the descendants of exiles fleeing the Norman Conquest.

I wonder: does Yola survive to the 20th century in the B.U.?  It really
cheeses me off that English's closest relative should have died out
*just* before the invention of historical linguistics, so our records of
it are, well, somewhat lacking.

(Not to leave y'all in suspense or anything:  Yola was the variety of
English spoken by the original English immigrants in Co. Wexford.
Since it was separated from the mainstream by the 9th century or so,
it developed quite differently before going extinct in the 17th.
Come to think of it, though, Andrew has established that it was the
Kemrese who worked on Ireland.)

--
John Cowan					cowan@ccil.org
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.