[conculture] Re: Greetings!

From: Andrew Smith <hobbit@mail.earthlight.co.nz>

On Sat, 27 Mar 1999 tracefox@JUNO.COM wrote:

> In any event, I'd like to hear a bit about your own cultures,
> particularly any non-human ones, or at least humans from alternate
> worlds. As my anthology deals with trans-dimensional settings, I am
> particularly interested in any cultire/species that has developed
> inter-spacial or inter-dimensional travel.

Brithenig started off as an experiment to create a neo-romance language
that underwent the same sound changes as Welsh.  Why? because people have
speculated on such a creature, and someone had to do.  It was too good to
resist.  From there Brithenig developed its own history and statehood.  It
is spoken by the Chomro of western Britain.  The Kingdom of Cambria (Rheon
Kemr) stretches from Cornwall to north of Wales, taking a bigger bite out
of England than the Celtic languages do *here*.  It has its own dynasty of
kings and since the early 19th century has been united in a formal
federation with the kingdoms of England and Scotland.

It was the Chomro, rather than the English, who conquered and ruled
Ireland.  They also planted colonies on the Atlantic coast of North
America.  These united with English, Scottish and mixed colonies to form
the Solemn League, an independant union under the sovereignty of the
Crowns.

The dialect of Castreleon, the Kemrese capital, appears to be the widest
known.  Dialectal variation has only been hinted at so far.  The Kernu
languages of Dunein seem to be the most divergent and are being studied by
Padraig Brown.

There appears to be some technological differences *there*.  Zeppilins
dominate the air services.  (Lighter than air travel!  Never happen here!)
The currency is still imperial rather than decimal.  I don't think they
have left their planet yet.  An armada of that scale would be rather hard
not to notice.

- andrew.

Andrew Smith, Intheologus                       hobbit@earthlight.co.nz

"Break someone's leg."