Re: Calen marth!

At 3:12 pm -0500 1/3/99, Padraic Brown wrote:
>John Cowan of the Marvellous Powers wrote:
>
>> Padrig Bryn yscrifef:
>>
>> > Hurrah!  Er.  Apart from general revelry, what exactly does one do on the
>> > Great Saint's day?  Apart from raising Dragons and wearing produce?  Does
>> > leek soup come into it at all?

Wearing leeks or daffodils - the latter is more popular :) is most
certainly done.  But the other what Andrew didn't mention are EISTEDDFODAU.
Throughout Wales today girls will gone to school wearing national costume
and there'll have been precious few lessons, the afternnons are all taken
up with eisteddfodau - lots of singing, dancing, poetry etc. and extensive
use of Welsh even in traditionally anglicized areas.

>> No, no.  It was the English that bid us eat our leeks, remember!
>> But over *there* we don't have to listen.

Maybe - but leek soup - cawl cennin - is popular anytime of the year, and
delicious it is too.

>Aw, for corn sake!  And I like leek soup.  Mayn't we have a drop, in spite
>of the English?

I like it also; it's quite delicious.  And *here* they will be eating a lot
this evening at St David's Day dinners both in the principality and among
exiles in England.

Pob hwyl,
Ray.