Re: Useful phrases for tourists

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Sylvia Sotomayor wrote:

> A beer, please.
Yn geruis, se ddeg a'w.

(While the point of producing an alcoholic malt beverage escapes me, I
suspect that Kemr has a rich and diverse beer culture just waiting for the
discerning tourist to sample)

> Where is the bathroom?

K'log es-sa lla duileth?

(Kemrese have toilets, adapted from the French word meaning 'little
cloth')

> Don't shoot, I'm a tourist.
Calfath saithar, eo su yn turist.

(Literally, Stop firing-arrows...)

> I don't speak [Brithenig].
Eo mharol rhen di Frithenig.

And an older translation that I have done at the same time:

Lla werdad es sulfent yn ystabuith alltr.

(The truth is only a standpoint other.)

- andrew.

Andrew Smith, Intheologus                       hobbit@earthlight.co.nz

Difference in opinions hath cost many millions of lives: for instance,
whether flesh be bread, or bread be flesh; whether the juice of a certain
berry be blood or wine; whether whistling be a vice or a virtue; whether
it be better to kiss a post or throw it on the fire..., with many more.
                                - Jonathan Swift; Gulliver's Travels.