Re: Denarii (was: Celtic months)

In for a dinar, in for a lira; as my friend the philatelist would say.

Point for people to consider is that I don't think that any British
language kept denarii-solidii-librae as currency names beyond the
productive borrowing of LSD as short hand.  It doesn't seem to have
survived in the Celtic languages (this statement is subject to correction
by people who know better than me), and the English preferred their own
names.  I suspect after the departure of the Romans the currency quietly
collapsed.

Must go, Whose Line Is It Anyway has started.

- andrew.

Andrew Smith, Intheologus 			hobbit@earthlight.co.nz

Difference in opinions hath cost many millions of lives: for instance,
whether flesh be bread, or bread be flesh; whether the juice of a certain
berry be blood or wine; whether whistling be a vice or a virtue; whether
it be better to kiss a post or throw it on the fire..., with many more.
				- Jonathan Swift; Gulliver's Travels.