Re: Some suggestions

On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, Raymond A. Brown wrote:

> Whether we like "ffelig", "ffelicg", "ffelitg", "ffelig'" or whatever
> (shouldn't the initial consonant be /f/, i.e. ff- ? Or have I missed
> something?) is not so relevant as to what the Chomro themselves are likely
> to have done.  Personally, I would need to be persuaded why they should be
> different over these matters from the Cymry of this world.  But the final
> choice has to be Andrew's.

At this stage I'm going with -g until such a point as I find a digraph
that jumps out at me and says: Yes, this is the kind of orthography that a
medieval "Welsh" scribe would have used to designate /dZ/ and it caught
on.  The regularity of Welsh is the legacy of such people.  It means I
will have to go back to the books and look though them again, but I know
where I am looking.  I'm tempted by ffelitg, but that is because I know
how much Rumansch influence I have borrowed to use in Brithenig, but I
need to read before I can make a final decision.

MONTHS
/ju:/ in NBr is consistly written as y+.  The long /u:/ fronts to /i:/ and
the consonantal i disappears from the written form, at least, to avoid
confused and inelegant spelling.  June and July become Yn /(j)i:n/ and Yl
/(j)i:l/.  Maybe such reduced names might be replaced anyway, especially
since they can be confused with other words.

A quick glance at comparative Celtic sources suggests that Mehefin might
have a cognate in Irish gaelic Meitheamh.

- andrew.

Andrew Smith, Intheologus 			hobbit@earthlight.co.nz
Q. Why are there so many Smiths in the Phone Book?
A. Because they all have telephones!