Re: Country Related: Christmas

On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, Carlos Thompson wrote:

> In the Etimology question again I would like to know how these hollidays
> are called in different languages, but more important: what the names
> means.
>
> I know Spanish "Navidad" is a short form of "natividad": birth.  In the
> word "Chrsitmas" I've hear the etimology means Christ birth, but I can't
> be sure.  I've never known where Swedish "Jul" comes from...

OED has it from Old English Cristes Maesse, in Mod. Engl., Christ's Mass.
One would think this originated from the particular Mass celebrating the
birth of Christ, usually with pagents, etc.

> How these hollidays are derived in our conlangs (those who apply).

I forget the proper Brithenig...  Nadiwdad perhaps?  Kernu has Natiwtats
and Festa lor Reys.  There're Masses, pagents, decorations, plays, brass
band competitions, ale (and applejack) go leor, Royal Magnanimity, etc.  A
rather pleasant time of year, stretched out over a fortnight or so.  One
would imagine that the _rest_ of Cambria is similar.

Padraic.

> Thanks, and
>
> !Felices fiestas!

Feliz Navidad a usted!