Re: A few more Breathanach notes

Geoff Eddy yscrifef:

> he was almost correct - the swap was actually a lapse of concentration
> on my part. The page has now been fixed.

Okay, now that Breathanach has been repaired, let's concentrate on
Latin.

> In general, final -nd
> simplifies to -nn in Breathanach; thus the gerund ends in -nn, while the
> present participle in -nte from -ntis/a/um takes over the role of the
> Latin verbal adjective in -ndus/a/um.

The Latin participle (= verbal adjective) is a 3rd declension
adjective, "amans", "amantis", etc.  The Latin gerund (= verbal noun)
is a 2nd declension neuter noun, "amandi", "amando", etc.  (The
gerund has no nominative.)

So it is -nd- > -nn (gerund) and -ntem > -nte (participle).