Hywel's Law was Re: Kemrese Philately II

>> And as for the Law of Hywel there is one vote for retaining the name and
>> one vote for not naming it after the actor Hywel Shelley.  I'll wait until
>> I can find an appropiate etymology to adapt the name into Brithenig then I
>> can start looking into the equivalent of Hywel Dda *there*.  As I look to
>> be heading back to my usual haunts in Dunedin - and its well-stocked
>> University library - next week I might have better luck there.
>
>Well, living in a country that routinely elects actors and buffoons of all
>sorts to high office; I think we ought not name any law after an actor.
>And I am unanimous in that.  As far as retaining the name:  the Dda bit
>ought to remain in any event, as it would, when properly transmogrified
>into Brithenig, make a good "title word" for kings &c., rather than using
>bon.

There is floating around among my Brithenig files a reference to Prince
Gereint (N) Bon.  Probably Prince Hywel will end up something like Prince
*Hywel I Bon, because da has not survived in Brithenig.  I will need more
convincing to accept that *dagos has survived in such a restricted meaning
in Brithenig.

David has pointed out that the actor's name was Hywel Bennett and Shelley
was the TV character.  (The actor's most recent appearance that I have seen
was in Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere.)  One day I shall amuse myself by figuring
out what happened to contemporary famous Welsh actors *there* (Harry
Secombe, Richard Burton, Anthony Hopkins, Catherine Zeta Jones...)

- andrew.