Re: North American affairs

>In American history usually called the French and Indian War: it was
>mostly between England and France, and ended with the French ceding
>Canada.  I'll look up more details next week.

I thought it was something like that.  Big struggle between the expanding
powers, oh, and some colonialists declared themselves independent, but
that's not important.

>> >Newfoundland (English)
>> What happens to Hudson Bay or Labrador?
>
>Not yet settled, I think.
Settled as in colonised or settled as in decided?  I thought the Hudson Bay
Company was active in this period?

>> >Castreleon New (Kemrese, many Dutch and English)
>> Originally Niew Nederland?  Would the Pilgrim Fathers have ended up there?
>
>They settled in Massachusetts Bay (which included what is now the
>state of Maine).  Religious dissenters (non-Puritans) founded Rhode Island and
>Connecticut.
>
>> *Here* they sailed from Devon, but I don't think the Kemrese or Kernow
>> authorities would have been very sympathetic to Puritans *there*.  I do
>> allow new to be used first in Brithenig placenames (? New Gastreleon)
>
>Sounds plausible.
>
>> >The Jerseys (English)
>
>That's East Jersey and West Jersey, BTW, united *here* as New Jersey.
>
>> >New Sweden (English)
>
>That's Delaware here (after Lord de la Warr), but it was founded
>by Swedes originally.
>
>> An interesting collection of names for the New Englander and Southern
>> colonies.  For the British royal succession I had been using the Stuart
>> dynasty, including the pretenders after the Glorious Revolution.  With this
>> in mind I would query where Virginia came from.
>
>The Blessed Virgin, of course.  Virginia *here* was *not* settled
>by dissenters, but mostly by Anglicans.  I assumed that *there* most of
>the settlers would be Catholics.

That was always an option.  I generally think that the population that
became Anglican *here* would have remained Catholic *there*.

>That was my intention, but I suspect the dates are wrong.  *Here* it
>is Georgia, named after a George (but which one? gotta look it up).

What about Jacobia?
>> guess there are enough Maries in British history for Ter Mair (why the
>> article before a proper noun?).
>
>I didn't think you could skip the article for Celtic genitives.
Proper names, being definite by default, don't take the article.  Athough
Padraic has pointed out there could be a Kernow influence.

I wonder if Mary, Queen of Scots would have the same romantic appeal as
Queen Mary I of England and Scotland.  I don't think her track record made
for good government.

>It's High German, but not standard High German: Pennsylvaanisch is most
>closely related to Swabian dialect.

Ui! Mew errur!  Eo greddaf ke sa er Almenig fas.

>> Solemn League and Covenant?!  High Scottish Protestant emigration I take it?
>
>'Tis so, 'tis so.

So in the early C19 the Atlantic seacoast is divided between Canada in the
North and the American League in the south.

smiff@es.co.nz