Re: Breathanach page

Padraic Brown wrote:

> I like the look and sound of it very much.  There's a fair amount in there
> that is reminiscent of Kernu: in particular the continued use of
> inflection (more than Brithenig, anyway!), the numerous preposition +
> article forms,

Where can I find out about Kernu? Do you have a webpage?

On a similar matter, has anybody thought about putting together a page
of links to the "Celtic Romance" conlangs? We've got Brithenig, Kernu
and Breathanach so far, along with (I think) Brzhoneg and others I may
have forgotten.

> and the division into Common versus Elevated speech.  Is
> this division in any way legal/official or simply a matter of convention?

I was thinking along the lines of Literary vs Everyday Welsh, in which
the more archaic language is preserved for formal situations while the
spoken language continues to evolve. I suppose it's more convention than
officially enforced; official, religious and legal speeches *could* be
held in LF, but this would be regarded as inappropriate, like talking to
one's bank manager as if he/she were one's best friend.

> I look forward to future additions, and in particular the LN version of
> the Babel Text.

I've added the names of the letters, which are mostly tree-names. I had
a hard time with D E H N O and had to cheat a bit - you wouldn't believe
the trouble I had finding a proper tree whose Latin name began with
these letters. I've also fixed the contradictory sentence which John
pointed out - it was a relic from an older version of the language,
before there were long vowels. The other Babel text should follow
soon...

I'm looking forward to discovering other Celtic-influenced conlangs,
once I know where to find them :-) I've always thought that Celtic
inparticular was a good source of inspiration for conlangers, and it's
interesting to see which bits other people borrow.

Thanks again for your interest!

Geoff
--
 [] My mission in life is to create original,    [] Geoff Eddy, in
Edinburgh []