Re: /S/ and /tS/ in natlangs

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Steg Belsky wrote:

> Spanish:
> has /tS/ but not /S/
> has /s/ but not /S/
> has /s/ but not /ts/

I've heard some Spanish speakers (Argentinian, I think) who realise y and
ll as [S] at times: yo me llamo... [So me Samo]...  Though lots of folk
tend to voice the sound slightly, or even fully.

With respect to conlangs, I know Brithenig has [s] and [tS]; not sure
about [S].  Kernu doesn't have [tS] and [S] at all; they do have all the
voiced varieties, though ( [z], [Z], [dZ] ).  I'm sure they present an
amusing accent when speaking Brithenig!, since all Brithenig [tS] get
realised as [Z] by Kernu speakers.

> -Stephen (Steg)

Padraic.