Re: Ancient History.

At 01:09 6/7/98, Padraic Brown wrote:

>Actually, this is interesting.  I've never seen it spelled Llywelyn her in
>Merkia.

The name is Welsh.  When I see on the credits of cartoons, films &c how
mid-European names are not infrequently transmogrified after crossing the
Atlantic, I think it's neither not there what might happen to a Welsh name
that makes the journey.

>What makes the Horrid Anglicism so horrid?  Is it because of the
>medial ll?

Yes - it shows typical monoglot English disregard for the difference
between the two _different_ Welsh letters {l} and {ll} and the usual
typical disdain for any "foreign" sound such as the Welsh lateral
fricative.  "If it's not in English, it not a proper sound".

The English could be a little more careful with the vowels.  The first
syllable is not 'loo'.

>Are there no Welsh words with medial ll?

Of course there are - plenty.  But *ONLY* when the sound represents a
voiceless lateral fricative.  The voiced lateral continuant is *always*
spelt/spelled {l}.

[.....]

>> > Hadn't thought of that.  But then what about that awkward -e- between Llyw-
>> > and lyn?
>
>I now wonder if the "e" really belongs to the lyn bit.

I really don't know.  When things get less busy, I must try and see if I
can chase up the possible etymology.

Rhaifun.