Re: Ancient History.

On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Raymond A. Brown wrote:

> At 00:21 2/7/98, Padraic Brown wrote:
> >On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Andrew Smith wrote:
>
> >Weneta was given in
> >one of my books; the other names are either given or back-derived (by me).
> >I hadn't the desire to back-derive all the names (some were rather
> >opaque), so there're some actual Welsh names mixt in with the Brittonic.
> >I assume Cune <- cunos (like so many others) and dda <- dagos; therefore
> >'good dog'.
>
> Dda is correct, but not 'cune-' (cunos would surely be cuno- in compounds).
> The first element of 'Cunedda' is cognate the Welsh 'cun' (plural
> 'cuniad'), a word, now archaic, meaning 'lord, chieftain'.  Therefore:
> 'Cunedd(a)' = "Good chieftan".

Ah well.  I've meant to ask before, but keep forgetting: do you know any
titles of books that deal with Welsh etymology and/or reconstructions of
Brittonic?  All I have is one for Gaulish (and not a reconstruction,
either); and while helpful, I'm sure not of direct influence on either
Brithenig or Welsh.

> [.....]
> >> The House of Padarn, the ruling dynasty, is named after its earliest
> >> ancestor, Paternus, who was one of the kings of the Votadini established
> >> circa 370-380.  Among his immediate successors are Cunedda and
> >> Maglocunos, and later the Llewellyns (has anyone got an etimology for
> >> that name?)
>
> Ach - LLYWELYN please - Llewellyn is a horrid anglicism.  As for the
> etymolgy, I must plead ignorance.  The first element must surely be the
> same as in Llywarch.  And besides Llywelyn we also have Llywel as a
> masculine name & Llywela as a feminine.  I have seen it suggested that
> Llyw- is from Llew "lion".

Perhaps lindos for lyn?

Padraic.