Re: Names of Languages

On Sun, 31 May 1998, Matt Pearson wrote:

> Padraic Brown wrote:
>
> >All the dialects discovered in and around Kemr seem to have names
> >something similar to 'Brithenig'.  So far there's Brithenig, the Standard
> >Dialect; Breathanach, a Goidelic counterpart;
> (snip)
>
> Out of curiosity, what does "Goidelic counterpart" mean?  I thought that
> the Kemrese languages (Brithenig, Kernu, et al.) were all members of the
> Romance family.  Do you mean that Breathanach has a Goidelic substrate,
> or lots of borrowings from Goidelic languages, or what?

Brithenig is Romance, heavily influenced by Brythonic.  Breahtanach is
Romance heavily influenced by Goidelic.  It's all a matter of substrate.
Regarding actual borrowing; Breathanach _can_ borrow from Gaelic, because
Gaelic exists whereas Brithenig _can not_ borrow from Welsh, because Welsh
exists not.

Padraic.