Re: Names of Languages

Padraic Brown wrote:

>All the dialects discovered in and around Kemr seem to have names
>something similar to 'Brithenig'.  So far there's Brithenig, the Standard
>Dialect; Breathanach, a Goidelic counterpart;
(snip)

Out of curiosity, what does "Goidelic counterpart" mean?  I thought that
the Kemrese languages (Brithenig, Kernu, et al.) were all members of the
Romance family.  Do you mean that Breathanach has a Goidelic substrate,
or lots of borrowings from Goidelic languages, or what?

Matt.

Matt Pearson
mpearson@ucla.edu
UCLA Linguistics Department