Re: Yeah!

On Sun, 26 Apr 1998, Clinton Moreland-Stringham wrote:

> That's all right.  The listserv was very helpful.  But when is someone
> going to say something on Celticonlang?  The first digest could be
> embarassingly brief.
>
> - andrew.
>

> 	yeah! Someone say something! I'd like to discuss euphemisms...like
> Sally Caves' "she hurls snow". Anyone else know a bunch of good ones? If
> not, I'll just have to go through my dictionaries..
>
> 	Clinton

Perhaps a good meaty (and Celtic) welcome will do for a start?: ocus tecat
ar chenn co sochruidh ocus co huallach, ocus rosbia lind ocus bhiadh ocus
ascadha, ocus is fochen doibh.  It was good enough for Queen Medb, it
should certainly suffice for us!

An euphemism?  I just came across one in Kernu, this evening.  It's the
old "how do we get around the swearing by the Old Gods bit without
actually bringing Them up by name?" routine.  The Irish had "tongu
natongat mo thuath" (I swear what my people swear); the Kernu have "pery
sagrament lor meu sengoggi" (by the sacred oaths of my ancestors).

Well, there's one for the digest!

Padraic.