Re: Webpage changes. (fwd)

Jowan 'ap Jowan yscreus:

> Padrig Bryn yscrifef:
>
> > Gereint xiii as king of the whole country (i.e., Britain) is 'il
> > Uchelrech lor mBritanor' (High King of the Britons).
>
> Rather an idle title (rhymes in my dialect of English), since
> there are more than a few Chomro living to the east and owing
> allegiance to the current Monarch of England and Scotland.

[The -i-, the -d- or the -le?  Or all three?]  True enough, but they don't
count.  a) they're _English_ by birth/choice/luck-of-the-draw/etc.  b) I
never said "of the Comro", I said "of the Britons"; the Britons being
those Comro living in the West, and therefore owing alleigence to G.

[Note that they're English by Country, Comro by Nationality.]

> > Some obstinate types
> > insist on adding 'yen e ollor' (one and all) to his title, thereby
> > equating him with Arthur, or affirming his natural and hereditary claim to
> > the highkingship (without which, Kernow would have long ago said 'take a
> > bloody hike, already!'); and thus placing him _above_ the other kings.
>
> If the Kernu had detached themselves from Kemr, they would have been
> devoured by the Bloody Saxons long ago.

This also is perilously true.  It was known or felt right from the start
(by many, anyway) that such a union would be imperative.  The Many
required affirmation, the Others required convincing.  The National
Mythology was either constructed or 'guided' with the aim of facilitating
the union and making it as 'natural' as possible.

The culture and language of Kernow were different from the rest of the
country; and the whole place was separated by a wide river and a wider
estuary.  They already _had_ their own high king and their own country.
Something rather extraordinary must have happened in order to convince
such a nascent country to join up with a bigger one.

> --
> John Cowan	http://www.ccil.org/~cowan		cowan@ccil.org
> 	You tollerday donsk?  N.  You tolkatiff scowegian?  Nn.
> 	You spigotty anglease?  Nnn.  You phonio saxo?  Nnnn.
> 		Clear all so!  'Tis a Jute.... (Finnegans Wake 16.5)

Padraic.