Re: General RFI

On Thu, 14 May 1998, Geoff Eddy wrote:

> On a different note, has anybody ever considered writing a novel or two
> set in the Brithenig universe? That's an obvious use for a conlang.

I'm guessing you mean a novel set in the Brithenig milieu that includes
the Brithenig language rather than several thousand words of creative
writing written purely in Brithenig.  That's a scary thought, but I've
discovered Brithenig has distinctive patterns of thought which are
different from English and writting them would faciliate discovering them.

Two things prohit me from writing the Great Cambrian Novel.

Every time I've created a world in its entirety I cannot write there.
Knowing all the laws of a world's creation makes it too static for me from
fleshing out its story.  Only in ignorance can this demiurge become
incrypted among his own creations.

The second reason is I live nearly exactly a hemisphere away from the
physical homeland of the Kemrese.  I don't think I can know landscape of
Cambria from this distance, or how the sunlight would fall on Castreleon.

I'm afraid I will have to leave the GCN to a better writer, though I would
like to read it after its done.

But sometimes late at night, as I'm walking home I envisage a magnificent
fleet of bright shining trans-althistoric ships jumping into orbit around
earth.  Some of these ships bear the emblems of the Dragun Rhys and the
Federated Kingdoms.  What dark enemy they have come to defend us from I
haven't seen yet.

- andrew.

Andrew Smith                                  <hobbit@earthlight.co.nz>

MAN, despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many
accomplishments; still owes his existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil
and the fact that it rains.
							   - Anonymous