Re: General RFI

Padraic Brown wrote:

> I thought Breathanach _was_ a Brithenig dialect!  Do correct me, Geoff, if
> that's mistaken.

I'm not sure myself... it was originally intended as the Q-Celtic
flipside to Brithenig's P-Celtic rather than as an actual dialect; I
don't think it'd be very easy to derive a Q-Celtic language from
Brithenig without taking a substantial amount directly from
Latin/Romance as well.

On which subject: which of the Romance languages is Brithenig intended
to resemble most, assuming there is such a bias? [This could help me
with Breathanach.] I've seen it described as being like Italian spoken
with a Welsh accent, although in other ways it reminds me more of
French.

Clinton wrote:

>       And on a side note, I recieved a medal for Magna Cum Laude on my
> honor's thesis today. The topic? Well, the title was "Stepping Through the
> Mist: Finding Shamanism in Celtic Mythology".

Congratulations from me too!

and:

>       And on another side note, some names transliterated into Aelya:

[snip]

to which Padraic replied:

> Well, what is the gen., then?  Don't just leave us hanging!

Assuming the Aelya genitive is formed with -n, is there any connection
with the Liotan genitive? [Liotan, although also Q-Celtic, is completely
unrelated to Breathanach.] I'll try to work out what everyone's names
are in Breathanach sometime...

On a different note, has anybody ever considered writing a novel or two
set in the Brithenig universe? That's an obvious use for a conlang.

Geoff
--
[] Anna laughed with delight         <> Geoff Eddy, somewhere in
Edinburgh.. []