Re: The Federated Kingdoms

At 15:40 19/4/98, Padraic Brown wrote:
[....]

>I read somewhere that in previous centuries Man was Brittish speaking, and
>later conquered by the Irish.  (Perhaps Ray, if he knows better than me,
>could corroborate or squash this rumour?)

No, I don't know for certain.  But I think it's very likely.  Remember the
earliest written Welsh comes from Strathclyde in modern Scotland.  At one
time, except for the mysterious Picts of NE Scotland,
Scotland-England-Wales was Brittonic speaking.  The Gaels arrived in
Scotland at about the same period as Saxons & related Germanics were
spreading across England (6th cent. AD).  Certainly the Gaelic settlement
in Man dates from these migrations.  There was also Nordic settlement
there.

Ray.

Written in Net English        Humor not necessarily marked