Re: Alternative history - a plea!

At 22:38 17/4/98, Andrew Smith wrote:
>On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Raymond A. Brown wrote:
>
>> Please, whatever you do with your alternative history, please ensure the
>> Gaels are treated more kindly *there* than they have been *here*.  Can you
>> avoid depopulating the Highlands & let the Irish keep their own language?
>> It's a small request to compensate for the loss of Welsh, Cornish & Breton.
>>
>We can do that.  The benign indifference with which the Chomro ruled
>Ireland could mean that Irish Gaelic remained in a healthier position than
>*Here*.  I should point out though that the extinction of the Brythonic
>languages was one of the earliest points we agreed on.

Oh yes, I know.  I don't how that could be otherwise.  Padraic did suggest
some Brittonic speakers made it to Amorica; but this, I think, would not be
likely in the Kernu-Brithenig universe.  And _if_ we find a place for Frank
George Valoczy's "Breton-Romance", then Brittonic is certainly dead.

I'm not asking for that to be changed, just reminding some, perhaps, that
we have actually killed off yet another Celtic language group with a
Romance lang, and asking our "alternative historians" to make sure that at
least the Gaelic langs are left in a more viable state *there* than they
sadly are *here*.  That's all.

Ray.

Written in Net English        Humor not necessarily marked