Re: The Federated Kingdoms

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, John Cowan wrote:

> Not deliberate.   You mean it should be "doitadur/doetadur"?
> (I gotta do that analysis and figure out the sound changes...)

actually I think you could get away with "doethur".  The word for wise in
Brithenig is "doeth", from doctus, the latin past participle of docere, to
teach.  In latin and romance the agent of a verb is generated by adding
the agent suffix to the past participle, creating doctor from doctus and
doethur from doeth, meaning scholar.  (one of my flatmates complains when
a medic is refered to as a doctor without having graduated a doctrate.)

- andrew.

Andrew Smith
<hobbit@earthlight.co.nz>

MAN, despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many
accomplishments; still owes his existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil
and the fact that it rains.
							   - Anonymous