Re: Stress accent?

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Raymond A. Brown wrote:

[multis snippitis]

> With respect, I feel both John & Padraic are looking at this through
> English eyes and not Romance ones.  From the actual examples of French &
> Romanian, I can see nothing at all unplausible or unlikely in:

Yeah, that's right.  Now that I think about it, -n dissapears after
accented vowels in the end of many Catala nouns: revelacio, nacio, Catala,
etc.  My expertise is Castillian, and generic Spanish, where to my
knowledge this loss _does not_ occur.  Other losses yes, but not -r (nor
-n).  [Note that I understand that n and r are different, but both _are_
vowels occuring in the same locations; with similar phenomena.]

Sigh.  I guess we must be more careful!

> CANTARE --> /kan'tar/ --> /kan'ta/
>
> Ray.

> Written in Net English        Humor not necessarily marked
>
> Sorry for delayed response.
> I haven't been able to get through to my ISP since
> 6th April   :=(

Blimey!