Re: Remembering who we are

il di le luns Jowan yscreus:

> Padrig Bryn yscrifef:
>
> > As a necessary adjunct to the question of names, what is/are the customs
> > regarding naming children in Cambria as a whole.
>
> In Kernu:
>
> > [t]he "proper" forms are essentially the Legal Latin forms of the names.
> > Everybody has one and must know it, for no legal action can be taken
> > without a proper name.
>
> Putting this together with current French practice, I suspect that
> the Kingdom (like the French Republic) maintains an official
> onomasticon from which all children must be named.  The names
> included would be:

An interesting idea.  The Kerno practice, regardless of the
present (non)existence of "Onomastickon Britanor", derives from the
ancient fact that all legal documents of whatever sort must be written in
a particular formulaic way and in Latin.  (If you like, I can put one or
two up for all to see.)  Therefore, the names must also be rendered into
Latin.  If it's not done that way, it won't wash in court.  The judge will
knock her 'llawa' on the bench and say 'wadi-ty tonc de haic curia co
infamia!' for lack of proper evidence.

> 	all names of saints (whether currently on the
> 	Index of Saints or not);
>
> 	all names from Greek, Roman, or Old Celtic mythology;
>
> 	other possibilities?
>
> Exceptions are made for the Saison-speaking minority and for
> those who can prove that a name has been used in their family
> at least three times in the past five generations.

Of course!  All those Ailfreckoi, Aidhelwardoi and Cutibertoi.  Do they
still use those old names!?

> (Note new vocab item:  *bryn* 'brown', common Western Romance,
> of Gmc. origin.)
>
> --
> John Cowan	http://www.ccil.org/~cowan		cowan@ccil.org
> 	You tollerday donsk?  N.  You tolkatiff scowegian?  Nn.
> 	You spigotty anglease?  Nnn.  You phonio saxo?  Nnnn.
> 		Clear all so!  'Tis a Jute.... (FW 16.5)

Padrig (Patrecko below the Limestone Hills) (Patreccos in "Onom. Br.")