Re: A certain town in Kemr...

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, John Cowan wrote:

> While consulting my (alas!) not-overly-detailed map of Kemr and
> the Federated Kingdoms today, I found the following, um, interesting
> village name:
>
> Pluifairllagunblancoryllentiustillrhebiddgurchpluitysiliocafurnrhys
>
> Looking up this monstrosity, I found the following commentary, attributed
> to a well-known authority:
>
> # It's basically pronounced like all the "building blocks" said, as far as
> # possible :-), in one breath.
>
> [detailed explication deleted]
>
> # Mary's parish [by] the white hazels' pool, quite close to the rapid
> # whirlpool [by] Tysilio's parish [which has] a red cave.
> #
> # The name was certainly made up by the Great Western Railway as it made its
> # way onto Isyl Môn (Anglesea).  The village is generally known simply as
> # Pluifairllagunblanc or even PluifairLG!
>
> If I have blundered in rendering the village's name, I would
> appreciate corrections.

That's just typical of those puffed up blokes on the GWR!  They do that
sort of thing just to make their timetabls more "impressive"; but I know
that the more sensible folk of the EK (Eysoernmarch Kernow, or Kernow
Railways) are by no means impressed!  We may not have long fancy-dan names
for our towns, but on the other hand, we don't waste away on the platform
waiting for the conductor to get all that out!  ;^)

It's nice to know there's another Railway in Kemr, though.

> [My first posting to Brithenig-list!]

And a good one it was!  Keep it up!

> --
> John Cowan	http://www.ccil.org/~cowan		cowan@ccil.org
> 	You tollerday donsk?  N.  You tolkatiff scowegian?  Nn.
> 	You spigotty anglease?  Nnn.  You phonio saxo?  Nnnn.
> 		Clear all so!  'Tis a Jute.... (FW 16.5)

Padraic.