Re: Negative constructions.

On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Padraic Brown wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Question: if this perhaps is some sort of Celtic feature that has made
its
> way into the continental Romance languages, should it not also end up in
> Brithenig.  [Kernu already makes use of ne...rhen for negation, but in
all
> honesty this is as much a tendency towards excessive negation as any
> (hertofore unwot of) underlying Celtic feature.]

This feature is a part of Brithenig.  Brithenig uses (nasal)...rhen
similar to the ne...(emphatic) found in Welsh and the Romance languages.
It also has (nasal)...nonc.

> Any thoughts on how this could/should fit?  It makes perfect sense to me
> that native speakers might use such turns of phrase as emphatics; but
what
> about the possibility of making it systemic (ie., more or less
required)?

> ... ill ces tostad ti blegh, no?
> ooo!, eo n'ai mannugad mech alch clas di ces tostad in -- eo ne sab
puith
> cant muis! ...

It took me several minutes looking at this to translate it.  I'm getting
rusty in my own language!

And now I'm pleased to announce the Brithenig distribution list has been
updated.  John Cowan joins us.  This gives us all an opportunity to say:
Benwenid, Welcome.
For your address book our list is now:
Padraic Brown	agricola@wam.umd.edu
John Cowan	cowan@locke.ccil.org,