Re: Flags and Religion and things . . .

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Andrew Smith wrote:

> I turn my back for a day and suddenly everyone starts talking.  It was fun
> reading!  Thank you, all.

Well, I suppose that's just reward for turning away!

> precise details have been established yet.  I visited a Cornish page a few
> weeks ago and was interested to discover the Cross of S. Perran, a white
> cross on a black field on a two-tailed banner.  And Peter's contribution

In the Cornwall newsgroup I read this described as the national flag of
Cornwall.  Apparently it doesn't fly much in a public way, though.

> The poetic genitive is reserved for poetic speech.  Brithenig speakers

Cool.  Rather like the proper verb endings of English -- understood but
unused generally.

> The Kemrese have been in contact with the Eastern Orthodox for a very long
> time.  The princes of Kemr always acknowledged the Emperor in
> Constantinople their overlord after the end of the western empire.  Most

Right.  In case nobody else knows, legal documents (in Kernu, at least)
always name the local king, the national king and the emperor.  Of course,
for the last 500 years or so this has been "constantino xi imperatore".
Anachronistic, perhaps, but of long standing tradition.

> social fringe groups do not take any hopes of the restoration of the
> imperial throne of the east seriously any more.  Orthodox historians see

Are you kidding?  Any day now, swarms of unmarked black helicopters shall
descend upon the Imperial City and crack troopers shall smite the Turk and
restore the Throne to its rightful Heir.  ;^)

> - andrew.
>
> Andrew Smith                                  <hobbit@earthlight.co.nz>
> Life is short, so am I...

Padraic.