Re: [conculture] Same name for everyone

From: andrew <hobbit@mail.earthlight.co.nz>

andrew wrote:
> An approach that is intriguing me at the moment is: Who do we name our
> churches for.

Maybe I should broaden that question a bit since this is the conculture
list.  In our concultures what do the residents there name their churches,
temples, shrines or sacred groves for? :)

In Cambria villages are named after what parish they form with names like
Pluifair, Pluibedr or Pluidduin (St. Mary's, St Peter's or St. Duin's, the
patroness of lovers).  Some of these places have become part of the
landscape, like Dewi Saeth (Saint David) or Migael Saeth (Saint Michael).
Any place named for the Archangel is especially significant, because
traditionally this marked a pre-Christian holy site that has survived as a
church or parish.  Places named for Migael Saeth are usually well elevated
above the rest of the landscape.

- andrew.
--
Andrew Smith, Intheologus 			hobbit@earthlight.co.nz

ONElist announces "FRIENDS & FAMILY!"
For details, including our weekly drawing, go to
http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html