Re: American dialect of Brithenig

On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Padraic Brown wrote:

> > details of them.  There may have been a cold war period between a NATO
> > directed from the leadership of several western nations in competition
> > with a Soviet block.  Great incentives for technology.  Manned flights to
> > Jupiter, anyone?
>
> Hurray!

I refer to a reference that I discovered once that NASA planned to have
manned bases on the moon by 1975, on Mars or Venus by 1985, and on more
distant planets by 2000.  But the slower technological pace may mean that
it hasn't happened *there either.

Shouldn't that be Hurrah!?

> > individuals, but they will go to Britain to do their work.  I'm thinking
> > of Rutherford who split the atom, but was born in NZ and retained an
> > affection for the country of his birth until his death.  Maybe somebody

Talking to people has pointed out to me that this line of thought is
incorrect.  Technologists go to where the resources are.  The example
given to me was the invention of refrigeration ships in NZ to export meat
to Britain.  Technological advancement would exist in the League as well
because the centres of learning to encourage it already exist their, in
fact, in some cases they predate it.

- andrew.
--
Andrew Smith, Intheologus 			hobbit@earthlight.co.nz

	Lo! thy dread empire, Chaos! is restored;
	Light dies before thy uncreating word:
	Thy hand, great Anarch! lets the curtain fall;
	And Universal Darkness buries All.
			- Alexander Pope, The Dunciad, Book IV.